The future for the Squeak Foundation Virtual Server

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 27 08:02:33 UTC 2005

Am 27.04.2005 um 09:39 schrieb Cees De Groot:

> On 4/27/05, Giovanni Giorgi <giovanni.giorgi at siforge.org> wrote:
>> Hmmm it seems a big leap:
>>
>> $51.50 vs $28.50
>> is about 80% more.
>>
> The current GBP15 (EUR22) box from Bytemark is inadequate both in
> terms of disk space and memory. So we'll need to move up to the next
> level (128Mb/6GB), which is GBP27 (EUR39). Which is just as expensive
> as a full box from Hetzner (1G/160G).
>
> (Michael: the Hetzner offering *is* a full root dedicated server)

Yes, they do have more expensive offers (more bandwith, even faster
machines), but I would say these are not needed for most users.

This was different some time ago: The 39EUR server hardware used to
be much slower,  have less disk (40G), 256MB RAM,  and 100GB/Month.

They continue to offer the old machines, with 100GB/Month it's only
EUR 19.

> I'm planning to get a box myself there. Squeak-ev has a box as well.
> Each of these boxen has 160G drivespace which we're likely not to
> completely need, so that would be a good basis for mutual disk-disk
> backup :-)

   Marcus