Dorado bytecodes per second

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 29 19:15:23 UTC 2005

> If sending extra messages makes something x-times slower no one should
> pay such a price "happily". Nothing is gained if something is flexible
> but hardly anyone - read: roughly one or two orders of magnitude fewer
> than potentially possible - uses it because of its slowness.

I agree but you're ignoring the fact that todays machines are *fast* and
therefore the price is offset by the relative improvements in hardware
speed, VM technology etc. Nobody would be running Squeak 3.8 on a 66MHz
machine, I'll grant you that, and if our audience would use such
machines we'd have an order of magnitude users less than we do. But even
in schools today, we see *giga* hertz machines :-)

That's not to say we should throw away speed but the patterns really
have changed. For example, we use "foo isNil" without even realizing
that doing that is some 30 times slower than the equivalent "foo == nil".

Cheers,
   - A dreas