LookEnhancements enhancement

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 21:49:04 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On 8/2/05, Ramon Leon <rleon at insario.com> wrote:

> <snip />

The real question is what's the goal of LookEnhancements, if it's to
> make squeak prettier to make it more popular, then it needs to try and
> look more like windows, plain and simple, because that's the target
> market, that's where "most" programmers are. If the goal is to look
> cool, then make it look like Mac, it's much prettier, but that isn't
> where the programmers are.

As the primary developer (of late) of LookEnhancements both I and Ben
Schroeder (original developer) have shared a common simple goal with Look
Enhancements. Goal -> "Let's make Squeak more enjoyable to use by making it
look better". To quote Donald Norman: "Attractive things work better" (
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/CH01.pdf) and I believe Mr. Norman very much so.

I can also state what our goal is not. It has not been (to date) to model a
specific platform look and feel. We certainly have been influenced by
various design elements of Mac OS and Windows and have integrated them where
we saw fit. Maybe Squeak OS should be the next trend setter on look and feel
for others to clone / copy? Maybe our Look Enhancements aren't the full
embodiment of that goal, but I feel we should set our sites higher than
Windows or Mac OS (just a thought) and not be afraid to diverge when it
makes for a more elegant and attractive interface. Certainly we have a long
way to go.

For the moment I plan on continuing down the path of our goal stated above.

Regards,

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple
idea. -- Carver Mead