LookEnhancements enhancement

Ramon Leon rleon at insario.com
Wed Aug 3 17:20:23 UTC 2005

> As the primary developer (of late) of LookEnhancements both I
> and Ben Schroeder (original developer) have shared a common
> simple goal with Look Enhancements. Goal -> "Let's make
> Squeak more enjoyable to use by making it look better". To
> quote Donald Norman: "Attractive things work better"
> (http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/CH01.pdf) and I believe Mr. Norman
> very much so.
>
> I can also state what our goal is not. It has not been (to
> date) to model a specific platform look and feel. We
> certainly have been influenced by various design elements of
> Mac OS and Windows and have integrated them where we saw fit.
> Maybe Squeak OS should be the next trend setter on look and
> feel for others to clone / copy? Maybe our Look Enhancements
> aren't the full embodiment of that goal, but I feel we should
> set our sites higher than Windows or Mac OS (just a thought)
> and not be afraid to diverge when it makes for a more elegant
> and attractive interface. Certainly we have a long way to go.
>
> For the moment I plan on continuing down the path of our goal
> stated above.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Hey, I think you guys are doing a great job, no complaints at all, just
wondering what the goal actually was, nice to know.  Personally,
anything that makes Squeak look more like an adult platform and less
like something for kids to play with, I'm all behind.  I want to see
Squeak taken seriously as a development platform, and it's current
default UI makes that impossible.  Your LookEnhancements is on of the
first packages I load, along with native windows fonts.

So if you really see Squeak as an OS, a view I share, what's it going to
take to get multiple monitor support so full screen is actually full
screen and I'm not stuck on one screen with windows on the other?  I'm
guessing that's in the VM and is a much bigger task than just a look
enhancement, just curious?