Squeak networking overview ?

orion elenzil "sv04er502" at sneakemail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:32:17 UTC 2005

Hi All.
I've got a couple networking things -

* Is there a Squeak networking overview anywhere ?

   I want to stream some pretty raw data that's being generated
   in real-time from one machine (non-squeak) into squeak.

   I have a feeling it's the usual squeak 'read the source code' situation,
   but thought i'd check.

   The data is animated 3D point-clouds:
   each frame is about 100,000 points each of which has XYZ and RGB float triples.
   For now, i'm not worrying about compression.

   I've read this thread:
   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-February/073062.html
   and the recommendation is to 'try out a few of the packages on squeakmap
   and see what they do' but really i'd rather not spend time on a package
   such as SocketStreamsEnh if it's been superceded by say FastSocketStream.

* Also, is it the case that [Fast]SocketStreams[Enh] are client-side only ?

* Also,
   i'm having trouble getting the basic Socket examples to work.

   Following Mike's nice suggestion here:
   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-February/073122.html

   Both Socket and SocketStream timeout (immediately) when connecting to localHostAddress.

   Suspiciously, i changed the standardTimeout from "45" to something immense like 20,000
   with no noticable change in behaviour.

   - Possibly it's a winXP firewall thing.
   - yeah, it must have been;
     i changed
     (NetNameResolver localHostAddress)
     (NetNameResolver addressFromString: '127.0.0.1')
     and it worked well.

thanks in advance,
orion