LookEnhancements enhancement

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Aug 7 22:07:25 UTC 2005

John Pierce <john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> It would be real
> easy to make a preference, but I kind of don't like lots of
preferences if
> no one particularly cares.

I do care and I agree with you - too many preferences are a menace. Far
too often 'make it a preference' is really code for 'we cant work out a
proper solution'.

> PSS - I worry that thinner borders and resize regions works directly
against
> Fitts Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts'_law) making resizing
windows
> / panes take longer for the user to complete. Thoughts from the
community?.

I prefer thinner borders. I don't much like constantly active resize
buttons/regions/doohickeys because they are often too easy to activate
accidentally. And since resizing can be a rather expensive operation
this gets to be an irritating time waster. My solution would be for
resize handle to be active only with a modifier of some sort - a
different mouse button, a metakey for those condemned to single
buttons, even a gesture if applicable. Certainly the current
implementation details of resize areas in Morphic is horrible in my
experience.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
"How many Teela Browns does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Stupid