LookEnhancements enhancement

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 15:57:06 UTC 2005

> I prefer thinner borders. I don't much like constantly active resize
> buttons/regions/doohickeys because they are often too easy to activate
> accidentally. And since resizing can be a rather expensive operation
> this gets to be an irritating time waster. My solution would be for
> resize handle to be active only with a modifier of some sort - a
> different mouse button, a metakey for those condemned to single
> buttons, even a gesture if applicable. Certainly the current
> implementation details of resize areas in Morphic is horrible in my
> experience.

Hi Tim, I don't understand how resizing would get activated accidentally?  Does
it happen when trying to scroll and you're not quite in the scrollbar?  And is
it expensive even with fastResizing turned on?

The reason I ask is, resizing is something I wish were easier to do, not
harder.  You have to position the mouse precisely within a 2 or 3 pixel range,
wait for the event-loop to convert the mouse-pointer so you know its in the
right spot (because the visual edge isn't the actual resize region), and then
finally click and drag it.  Three steps just to get more visibility.

It wouldn't be hard to disable the edge resizers altogether (one-method change,
I believe).  This would certainly prevent accidental resizes, but then would be
required to use the yellow Morphic resize halo which seems to be what you are
referring to as horrible..

Damien Cassou wrote:

> Sometimes I can  resize the windows very fast  (with the black border)
> and  sometimes  all  the  frames  in  the  window  are  being  resized
> at the same time which is much much slower.
> All the  borders allow me  to always resize  my windows fast,  but the
> lower right one.  The lower right one allow  sometimes fast resize and
> sometimes not.

LookEnhancements adds its own resize handle to the lower-right corner only.  It
is not sensitive to the fastResize setting.  I *think* if you grab the
lower-right slightly outside the window you should get fast resizing.  If you
grab inside the window border, it will be slow.  Hope that helps.

 - Chris