LookEnhancements enhancement

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Aug 8 22:23:52 UTC 2005

In message <20050808191207.61908.qmail at web52612.mail.yahoo.com>
          Chris Muller <chris at funkyobjects.org> wrote:

[snip]

> Thankfully that doesn't happen at all on my 1.3GHz WinXP machine, it
would
> indeed be very annoying.

You might be able to invoke a feeling of the problem by slowly moving
the pointer across a window edge; when the resize cursor appears see if
it seems to 'cling' to the window instead of changing back as soon as
you move away.

> > As a positive suggestion I will throw out the idea of NOT having the
> > normal motion of the cursor activate the resize but using some meta-
key
> > action (just as an example, ctl-mousebutton) to
> > a) activate the resize areas
> > b) EXPAND them to make the easier to hit just while the meta-action
is
> > alive.
>
> Is "a" something to avoid the annoying pauses?  If the pauses could be
> completely eliminated on all platforms maybe you wouldn't care about
the
> meta-key..
Possibly - I probably wouldn't get annoyed enough to mention it.

Another case where the every-damn-edge-resizes stuff annoys is when
using a tool like the MC browser and moving up to the buttons from the
list panes. It is far too easy to end up moving the border of the list
pane instead of pressing the button. Then you have to move the divider
back and go for the buttons again.

I suspect that quite a lot of this kind of problem is caused by some
sort of urge to make everything work from a single mouse button, recall
that Windows used just one button for years just like Macs. It's
stupid; I don't have a single finger or even a single hand.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- When a thought crosses her mind, it's a long and