craving cryptography commentary

Andrew Gaylard andrew.gaylard at aircom.co.za
Wed Aug 10 07:59:37 UTC 2005

Chris Muller wrote:

>Now that Magma has power-outage security, I'm designing security to protect
>against hacking and would like to get feedback on the following approach.
>
>Basically, I want to punish senders of invalid or forged transmissions by
>blocking their IP for a period of time.

[ snip ]

>On the server-side, an incorrect next-random results in punishment of that IP
>(blockage for a period of time).  On the client-side, an incorrect next-random
>results in immediate disconnection from the server with a Warning signaled.

Chris,

Be careful with this strategy.  Attackers might deliberately provoke the
blocking behaviour with carefully crafted (mis)information to trigger a
denial-of-service attack against your own perfectly valid IP addresses.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, I'm just saying that it needs to be
rigourously thought through first.

Andrew.