pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 16 12:54:25 UTC 2005

I've posted a 3.8.8b7 Mac carbon VM to
ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com

Squeak 3.8.8beta7.app.zip
I have not posted one to my idisk yet because of connectivity issues
at ESUG.

Like Squeak 3.8.8b6 this VM uses Quartz drawing versus QuickDraw as
it's method of drawing the Squeak display bitmap to the window.
This change is driven by VM changes needed for native Intel based
macintoshs.

However with 3.8.8b6 I discovered it did not work with Quartz Extreme.
This VM changes the draw logic, and greatly optimizes it for Quartz
and Quartz Extreme.
The source code changes have been checked into SVN.

Mac users should confirm:
a) It works with 16 or 32 bit screens, and images set to 1/4/8/16/32
bits.
b) That the drawing appears quickly and there is no lag time between
drawing and user interaction.
c) That it gives good drawing performance on earlier versions of os-x
(versus 10.4).

PS I will note one artifact:

a)  Weird drawing when you resize the window as Squeak is a bit
confused about the real screen size for a few milliseconds and that
is reflected in a screen update which then is fixed as Squeak resizes
the Squeak window.

===