pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Aug 17 06:02:55 UTC 2005

John M McIntosh wrote:
> a) It works with 16 or 32 bit screens, and images set to 1/4/8/16/32  bits.

"Colors: Millions" in Preferences; I assume this means 32-bit color :-)
Works fine with all depth settings available via the "appearance..." menu.

> b) That the drawing appears quickly and there is no lag time between
> drawing and user interaction.

Occasionally you have to move the mouse or press a key to flush the
display - for instance, I've been using an SUnit test-runner and
clicking "run all" with a small test suite selected, and if you don't
touch the mouse or press a key it looks like it's hung on the last test,
when really it's finished and it just hasn't updated the display.

The next UI event gets us back in synch though.

> c) That it gives good drawing performance on earlier versions of os-x
> (versus 10.4).

I'm using 10.3, and it's OK. Not as snappy as 3.7.5beta1 for some reason
- but then 3.8.8beta6 was worse.

Regards,
  Tony