Class reshaping and GC in ClassBuilder

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 20:25:39 UTC 2005

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Another question. My problem is not with the GC per se, just with the
> fact that it happens many times when reshaping Behavior. So a trivial
> solution avoiding concurrency related problems is to expand the critical
> section (have one for each call to CB, instead of one for each class
> affected), and perform GC at its end.

Yes, I thought about this, too. There are severe problems with it since
in some situations classes get reshaped multiple times during
recompilation (such as when crossing the class/meta class hierarchy) and
then things break almost immediately. It is also a risky solution since
the broken instances survive much longer and nobody can say for sure
what effects any of these might have.

Cheers,
  - Andreas