[ANN] 3.9alpha6680

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Aug 18 08:04:36 UTC 2005

Am 17.08.2005 um 20:30 schrieb Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene:

> until I realize all different 3.9 on servers (with and without
> Diego look)
> was abandoned.
>
> Could be a good idea rip all this experimental work ?

I am very sad to loose Diego's work. The whole story about 3.8 vs. 3.9
was very unfortunate...

The original idea was to make a Squeak3.9 back in November as a synch
between squeak.org and small-land. This then was too slow (and too many
changes) for squeakland, who then stepped forward to do a "fast 3.8"
without
diego's changes. This "fast" release then took more then 6 Month
(long after
the original november date) to finish, leaving Diego in the dust.

We can't add the changes of diego now, as they were not finished and
too slow.
I am certain that he solved these problems for the small-land
release, but he
was (understandably) not willing to put more work into this for 3.9.

It is especially sad as it was not a clash between "booring engineering"
vs. "Squeak for Kids", but it were two parties with the same goal
(squeakland and smallland) who could not get synchronized.

> Clean space on servers and avoid fools like me take the wrong path.

Yes, that should have been done. Sorry.

>> Also, after you do this, the image is much larger because all the
>> packages are also stored in the in-image MC cache, so I think that's
>> what he's referring to with the huge image.  To get back to a
>> normal-sized image you have to flush the caches, which can be done in
>> the MC browser.  Also, we did this in update 6677.
>>

> How to flush the cache ?

there is a entry in the context menu of MCBrowser's list of
repositories.

     Marcus