[ANN] 3.9alpha6680

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Aug 18 09:19:58 UTC 2005

Markus:

I very happy what your other duties let's you have time for Squeak.

Time slowly smooth all masters "vision" differences.

All experiments always teach something, and the 3.8/3.9 development phase is
not exception.

It's my fourth year inside community and still learning a lot of all you.

I resume my Pascal to Squeak journey.

1) You can have a Smalltalk image from a text file ? (like procedural
languages)
Response: Yes, you could have this .

2) What is the difference of image systems from file systems (as see in
another thread)
Image systems are live , can growth, evolutes, etc (similar to biological ),
file systems are death immutable things.

3) I too difficult have a particular image suited to your test.

Today seems what monolithic image , like ST80, are not the best thing.

ISqueak - Monticello way is having a "pieces" system, with large "pieces"
like  VersionNumber-ar.1.mcz ,Tools-ar.2.mcz, Tests-ar.2.mcz,
System-ar.2.mcz, SUnit-ar.2.mcz, StarSqueak-ar.2.mcz, ST80-ar.2.mcz,
Speech-ar.2.mcz, Sound-ar.2.mcz, SmaCC-ar.2.mcz, Protocols-ar.2.mcz,
PackageInfo-ar.1.mcz, Network-ar.3.mcz, Nebraska-ar.2.mcz,
Multilingual-ar.3.mcz, Movies-ar.1.mcz, Morphic-ar.3.mcz,
Monticello-bf.257.mcz, Kernel-ar.2.mcz, Graphics-ar.2.mcz, Files-ar.2.mcz,
FFI-ar.2.mcz, Exceptions-ar.3.mcz, Compression-ar.3.mcz, Compiler-ar.3.mcz,
Collections-ar.2.mcz, Balloon-ar.2.mcz

This "pieces" could have half size if format was .sqz , using
CodeLoader compressFileNamed: aFileName in: aDirectory.
I take this and improve for saving and loading only code as regular .cs or
complicated Morphs, saving disk space and transmission times.

The sources could be fragmented more to level class (I do this for iSqueak).
Only thing is understand enough Monticello for dealing with individual
classes.
The advantage of this is what you could have a classes repository, with
author and version.
And maintainers of individual classes.

When / if this happen, no more missing classes for loading something.
Your FutureSqueak knows what load in what order and where the code is.

What needed
A new "Egg"
Craig Latta envision one for Spoon.
Alejandro Reimondo another in his Gestacion images.
I waiting Dan or Alan show all how should be.

Cheers.

Edgar