My server is down

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 15:22:33 UTC 2005

Hi all,

My old hardware is not very happy right now, and I'm unable to restart my
server that runs the following:

1. Salty Pickle Depot (squeak.saltypickle.com<http://squeak.saltypickle.com>
)
2. Squeak Source proxy (www.squeaksource.com <http://www.squeaksource.com>)
that points to http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888
3. Other various and assundy web pages I run that probably don't affect most
on this list.

I am not sure what is going on, but I think it is either power supply or
motherboard related because I cannot even get the machine to complete the
post or get past the Video BIOS. I cannot even get into the machine bios as
it just hangs at video BIOS. At this point I don't have a lot of time to
mess with it today. It is 10 year old gear so I'm not utterly surpised it is
finally having troubles.

Anyways, I will be looking into solutions over the next couple of days. I
don't think any data is lost (for Salty Pickle Depot's sake). If someone
wants to host a squeaksource proxy and wants me to redirect that host name (
www.squeaksource.com <http://www.squeaksource.com>), let me know. I mostly
setup squeaksource.com <http://squeaksource.com> to allow me to get to
squeak source on a standard port (80) so I could use squeak source behind
egress filters. I'd hate to lose that feature, but am open to ideas at this
point. I think the outage will be extended here as I have to probably do
some upgrading of hardware.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause, but certainly anyone can
access squeak source directly at http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888 until some
fixes are put in place.

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple
idea. -- Carver Mead