[squeak] Re: craving cryptography commentary

Andrew Berg andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 16:41:28 UTC 2005

I also would want a better explanation of what the "(blockage for a
period of time)" is going to solve.  As the other Andrew rightly
pointed out, the IP address is likely spoofable, allowing for DoS type
attacks.

Do requests happen on separate socket connections?  Is that why you are
interested in doing authentication on each request?  If not, would it
not be easier to just authenticate the connection and then allow any
requests from that client?

In any case, it seems to me that the very next kind of security that
you might want to implement would be to add some privacy to the request
and the result, which would probably best be implemented with something
very SSL/TLS like.  Might it not be better to just implement SSL/TLS
first and be done with it?

This would also have the advantage of being an extensively
peer-reviewed protocol, so there'd be far less chance of some
"obvious-to-someone-who-hasn't-looked-at-it-yet" kind of mistake.

-andrew