Questions on CommandShell Architecture

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Aug 21 17:07:09 UTC 2005

Samir,

Thanks for the feedback. I think that the problem you are having with
"ByteSymbol(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #key" is due to some kind of
mismatch between your Squeak 3.8 image and the VMMaker package. There
are some changes to the String classes in 3.8 that lead to the problem
(I don't recall the details). If you try using a Squeak 3.7 image
instead of 3.8, I think the problem will go away.

(I remember that there was an explanation of how to work around
this on a 3.8 image, but I can't remember where I saw it. Perhaps
someone else can give the right answer to this?)

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 05:03:06PM +0200, Samir Saidani wrote:
> To reproduce the bug, take a vanilla Squeak 3.8
> then squeakmap->OSProcessPlugin->VMMAker->generate UnixOS...Plugin
> At the end of the mail, you will find the output of the debugger...
>
> Another problem, I didn't manage to get this command working (see
>  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1914):
> CommandShell command: 'Time dateAndTimeNow!! | edit; exit'
> CommandShell command: 'Time dateAndTimeNow | edit; exit' also doesn't work.

Wow, that's a good one! I think I got bitten by a bug that was
in the Swiki html editor. It looks like all instances of '!' were
replaced by '!!' on this page. The page should say this:

   CommandShell command: 'Time dateAndTimeNow! | edit; exit'

I've fixed the page now. Thanks for pointing this out.

Dave