pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 23 01:44:58 UTC 2005

Ok, my jet-lagged wife decide not to go to Epcot, so I got to poke at
the Squeak VM a bit.

So I've posted a 3.8.8b11 mac carbon which ensures a full screen
window open happens in a faster, more friendly, more pleasing manner.

This can be found at
ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com
Squeak 3.8.8beta11.app.zip

I've also moved a copy of the sit files to my idisk
http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/FileSharing.html

On 22-Aug-05, at 5:07 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> MMm, seems we create the window say at 1280x1024, then shift to
> full screen on the target which is actually 1440x900, then draw,
> then squeak wakes up anddraws at 1280x1024, then realizes its
> 1440x900 and draws again. Problem is we've queued up these three
> draw events and are caching after the first one. The post wait
> flush then occurs much later...
>
> You get the same behaviour pre 3.8.8bx  it just happens much faster.
> Really the fix should be to build the full screen logic at startup
> time and report back the correct screen size, versus using the
> 1280x1024 saved size for the first iteration.
> I suspect there could also be a smalltalk code change for that too.
>
> Also to complicate things we don't actually show the window until
> the first draw event, so we need to report the saved size I think
> for the first iteration because the screen
> does not exist quite yet... Mmm lots of complicated things going on
> for the first screen draw and resize for full screen after image
> startup. Fixing this issue might take a bit of thought.
> However nice catch I hadn't thought that one would change screen
> sizes between sessions. Mind you I'll guess that a full screen game
> would see this quite a bit based on the work station the image is
> saved on, and the computer you play the game on. .

===