sourcecode-management

Victor Rodriguez palique.st at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 21:24:41 UTC 2005

What about just filing out classes to individual files and checking
those into SVN?

A disclaimer: I just started playing with Smalltalk and Squeak and
know very little of change sets, and nothing about Monticello.

To keep my own code in CVS I have been thinking about writing a little
tool to file out all the classes in the category I'm using for them
(I'm assuming this is possible). Then I would use my CVS client
(XEmacs) to check-in the modified files.

In the other direction, my fictional tool would file in all the files..

If filing out all classes is too slow, or the classes are not well
contained in categories, I expect it should be possible to write a
tool that would file out only classes that have been modified.

Some classes might not lend themselves to fling-out and back in, since
recompiling them might be problematic (just speculating), so this
scheme might still need to accomodate changesets to those classes
(maybe a single change set per class, would that make it a 'changes'
file?).

I'm pretty sure there must be better ways to work, but this scheme
seems reasonable to me.. unless somebody sees a problem with it? Would
constant filing-in of classes be a problem?

Best Regards,

Victor Rodriguez

p.d. BTW, the book "Smalltalk by Example", which is available on Prof.
Ducasse website, has a chapter on code management. It might provide
some ideas, although the book is not targeted to Squeak, but to
VisualWorks (I might be wrong).