pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Aug 24 14:05:43 UTC 2005

The move to quartz is not only for throttling issues, but also to
address code changes required for the macintel version.
I'll have a change that will make the pending update a bit faster and
hopefully fix the menu update issue.  I'll post that later
today EST.

The Hilbert code is the worst possible case, usually not way people
do things? Perhaps the bouncing atoms is more
general and for that we want to have good consistency in the animation.

On 23-Aug-05, at 12:38 PM, Jesse Welton wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 02:40:40PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Now a major complaint over the years is that os-x quartz drawing is
>> slow as compared to os-9, this is show in your numbers of 7.8
>> versus 6.5
>> Apple's response is that Quartz extreme will address those problems,
>> or you should use Open/GL for drawing.
>>

> I'm running 10.4.2 on a 12" Powerbook, and I see a much bigger
> performance degradation than that.  For that same Hilbert code, I get
> about a factor of 3 slow down from 3.8.8b2 to 3.8.8b11 (750ms to
> 2500ms).  I see artifacts in normal operation, too, probably to most
> noticeable being slow updates in menus (Morphic): As I move the cursor
> from one menu item to the next, the old item remains highlighted for a
> noticeabe lengthe of time after the new one is highlighted, giving a
> very sluggish feel.
>
> I know this is supposed to avoid some throttling issue with the old
> update logic in 10.4, but I haven't noticed any problems with that.
> Under what circumstances did it cause a problem?
>
> -Jesse

===