About community exposure

Dane Jensen careo at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 26 20:15:24 UTC 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 5:03 AM, Giovanni Giorgi wrote:

> Can you expand these idea?
> Why bloggers will help us?
> I have a blog too, but I doesn't think something like Python, Ruby
> and Linux
> get attention thanks to blogs...(that diary was very little used in
> the Linux days...)
> I cannot figure exactly how this can help...
> :)

I think the value of blogs for promoting Squeak and Seaside extend
beyond simple advertising. To me, it's kind of a "hey, over here,
we're a vibrant group of developers" type of advertising.

Blogs were what got me to ditch Zope in favor of Ruby on Rails. I
read a tiny bit about Rails on a Python blog I read regularly at the
time, looked into it a little more, and found myself in the middle of
a sea of blogs on Rails.

I'm sure everyone has had the experience of reading about an open
source project and thinking, "finally, I found the solution to my
problem." Then after digging a little more finding out there haven't
been any apparent updates in recent history, the project's website
updated a year ago, and generally there are no other signs the
project is still alive and kicking.

So you lament this fact to another developer who first looks at you
funny, then says, "there's TONS of activity, you just need to
subscribe to the mailing list and check out the project's CVS HEAD".

It's that kind of obscurity that an active group of bloggers help fight.

-Dane