internal or external, that is the question

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Aug 27 04:16:25 UTC 2005

Ross Boylan wrote:

> If you're trying to build off of svn head on Unix, you've got an
> adventure. In some of my earlier messages I laid out the exact steps
> I had to follow (as well as many false starts). My build procedure
> included getting a special VMMaker, applying some patches, and other
> contortions. The changes related to garbage collection grew out of my
> particular interest in that area, but the rest were just to get it to
> compile and run.

What special VMMaker did you use? I'm using the latest 3.8 squeak

> Also, to clarify, when I changed to src from src32 I did so in the
> VMMaker tool. I'm not sure if simply renaming the directory is
> sufficient.

I did change the dir in VMMaker Tool, but it made no difference.
Also, I do see that interp.h is in the unix/src32/vm directory but not
in the unix/src//vm dir. I copied it over, but that didn't make build
run either -- it still couldn't find it.
The build stops at vm/vm.a

I'll search more for your emails and see if I can piece together your
troubles.
 From your email, it sounds like it's rather difficult to put together
the vm at this point. Is that because it's in a state of flux re: 64-bit
work?

thanks for the reply,
brad

--