[Q] Speed comparison 2.8 vs 3.8

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 27 16:59:19 UTC 2005

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Eddie Cottongim wrote:
>
>> A lot of the 3.6-3.7 delta is due to primitives broken or disused
>> during the i8n effort. These include basic font printing and text
>> layout. (Try editing a big paragraph in a workspace, its not
>> pleasant) These issues have been reported and hopefully will be
>> improved for 3.9.
>

> These changes are not in 3.7 but only in 3.8 so speed differences
> between 3.6 and 3.7 are definitely not because of m17n changes.

Oops, you are right. I referred to 3.7->3.8. The 3.6-3.7 delta is
probably mostly because of eye candy. I ran some more 10browser tests on
out of the box images:

2.8 -> 1531.3
3.6 -> 3398.3
3.7 -> 6100.6
3.8 -> 9921.6
3.9a 6681 ->  5698.3

So things are getting better, at least if you like opening a lot of
browsers. I'm a little suprised at the size of the improvement for 3.9a,
but I'll take it!

Eddie

(Again, a disclaimer, there are a lot of visual differences in the
various image versions, and that benchmark seems to fluctuate by as much
as 10%, but that shouldn't affect the trends.)