internal or external, that is the question

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Aug 27 20:25:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:07:02PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I should state the obvious: Why is the bleeding edge source in the
> trunk? Why hasn't that been branched off? I expected the stable version
> to be in the trunk, not the working copies.
Having development at the head seems like pretty standard practice to
me.

> Or, am I missing something here?
>
> Going to Ian's source will just complicate matters and doesn't guarantee
> source code consistency. Now there are two source trees.

Ian's source code is internally consistent: it builds.  Presumably it
is externally consistent with the svn sources and the image as of some
date.  It might have additional patches (I'm not familiar with the
details).  It has the advantage of being known to build.

> Re: VMMaker. I'm using the VMMaker that is included with 3.8Full. I'll
> check out the notes in SqueakMap, but is it different? Is it new and
> improved? Is it the special VMMaker you mentioned in the last msg? (and
> also the patches you mentioned?)

The VMMaker I used to build was different and more bleeding edge, to
go with the bleeding edge sources.