[ANN] Alternate PostgreSQL interface update - a problem

Emerson Murphy-Hill emerson at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Aug 29 23:59:58 UTC 2005

I tried the PostgreSQL interface, but can't connect to my database -
perhaps someone can assist me.  I don't have much practical database
experience, so it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong.

I have connected the PostgreSQL 7.4.6 database fine with pgAdmin, so I
don't think there's anything wrong on the server end.  When trying to
establish a simple connection in Squeak 3.8, I get the following error:
"unknown message type," followed by a random character.  My code looks
like so:

    client := PSQLClient new host: 'db.cecs.pdx.edu';
                            database: 'emerson';
                            user: 'foo';
                            password: 'bar',
                            port: 5432.
    client establishConnection.

I also can't get the same code working in Smalltalk/X, but only because
ST/X doesn't have a Password class.  But this was only a test - I intend
to run this software in Squeak.

Thanks in advance,

Emerson