Simple way how to export book-morphs to a sequence of interlinked HTML pages.

Matej Košík kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Tue Aug 30 22:10:59 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have several reasons why I have implemented convenient mechanism for
exporting book-morphs to to a sequence of interlinked HTML pages.
Partially I was forced to convert some of my previous presentation to
"more compatible" (at least HTML) format.

I have used new functionality and exported (as an example) well known
Squeak presentation. The result is here:

    A Gentle Introduction to Smalltalk
    http://altair.dcs.elf.stuba.sk/~kosik/tmp/squeak/Book3/page1.html

Those who would like to try it out should file-in the two attached
changesets in this order

- MorphicTrivialEnhChunk3-mk.1.cs
- BookMorphEnh1-mk.1.cs

Then take some book-morph and send it a `exportAsHTML' message. This is
the interactive interface method. There is also `exportAsHTMLbasic:'
which is less verbose and could be used programatically.

Works in 3.7 as well as 3.9a.

It was not difficult to implement and might be useful. Could something
be done better? For example, should there be
     `export... > HTML directory'
option in a book-morph-menu?

The generation of HTML files could be cleaner if the HtmlFileStream were
more complete. I did not rely on HtmlFileStream now. Its purpose is not
completely clear to me. I wonder how does Seaside deal with generation
of HTML files. Does it implement (also among other things) similar
functionality?

I have noticed that there are two progress-morphs:
- SystemProgressMorph (with a comment)
- ProgressMorph ((mostly) comment-less)
Why there are two classes?

Thank you for any answers/suggestions.