VM mix and match

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Wed Aug 31 07:06:38 UTC 2005

Hi all,

trying to build the installers for the new squeakland release I just
realized that we have an "interesting" mix of VM versions out there.
Andreas asked me to use the 3.7.x version, but John built his latest VMs
on the 3.8.x trunk. *ix is at 3.7.x.

It seems with VMs we have the same situation as with the image (at least
before 3.8) that fixes always and only go into the HEAD and older VMs
are never maintained. Am I correct here? Which, with all the unfinished
changes for the 3.8.x trunk might cause problems? What about for
instance the changes to weak behavior (GC)?

What are other people's experiences with using the 3.8.x VMs?

Any hints, solutions etc welcome.

Michael