[Q] Maui, can I run example or demo?

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Wed Aug 31 15:04:12 UTC 2005

> I'm using Mac and there's no right click and etc. I can make right
> click equivalent with Ctrl+Click but I cannot make shift+right click
> with shift + ctrl + click. This is my biggest problem. Maybe this is
> my fault?

Not at all.  And I should have used Squeak's platform-independent terminology
for the mouse buttons.

The shift + yellow-click is only a short-cut to the "tools" menu.  I didn't
know Mac users couldn't do this.  Not a problem, you can still get to the tools
menu one of two other ways:

  - Yellow-click (or press Esc) and then select "tools (t)"
  - simply hover over the object and press "t" on the keyboard.

> > message is automatically executed.  You may now close this "dialog"
> > by pressing
> > "x" while the outer blue box is highlighted.
>
> Hmm, I cannot find 'x' for this box. But this is not that big problem
> anyway.

Ah, I was referring to "x" on the keyboard.  :)

Also, if you press "l" or select "labelled" from the menu, it will make the
object look more like a "window".

As you may have noticed, Maui has extensive keyboard support, allowing quick,
two-handed operation of the UI.  You don't have to press any command-key
modifier either (i.e., Alt), just hover over the object you want to send a
command so that it is outlined in green, then press the command on the
keyboard.

> right-clicking on collection object is rather tricky. But this works
> great(again) !

Yes.  Since you must use the keyboard anyway to do this (Ctrl), I'm sure you
will enjoy the short-cut command keys better with time.

> Thanks again. Maui is very interesting. I think except some menu
> selecting problem(for me, Mac user) Maui is what I want to have.

One more tip, if you load the Connectors framework, all representations of the
same identical object on-screen will be connected when you hover over them.
This can be very handy as you build up a complex domain model with shared
objects.

Thanks for your interest,
  Chris