[ANN] Magma Server image with web management console

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:00:16 UTC 2005

Hi,

In using Magma in the mixed client/server mode, I found that image
startup/shutdown time became a bit of a nuisance - Magma takes its
time to reconnect and disconnect. So I decided to move to a separate
server, one on my laptop for all my little projects.

Most of my work (not much, being very busy with some network debugging
around Kolibri) these days revolves around Kilauea, which wants to
provide an easy out-of-the-box experience around Magma+Seaside, so I
decided to make this thing user-friendly by adding a simple management
console in HV. As an added advantage, this enables me to run the image
as an NT service...

http://de-1.tric.nl/~cg/mc/Kilauea-Magma%20Server%20Management-CdG.1.mcz

has the code, but even better:

http://de-1.tric.nl/~cg/MagmaServer-CdG.1.zip

has the ready-to-run image (the image says to start a service on port
21000, but as you have it with beta software, I didn't do a shutdown
before shipping the thing so it'll run out-of-the-box on this port).
In other words, under Linux:

% mkdir MagmaServer
% cd MagmaServer
% unzip /tmp/MagmaServer-CdG.1.zip
% nohup squeak -headless magmaserver.image &

and you should be able to connect to http://localhost:21000/ a few
seconds later. On Windows:

- Unpack the zip file in where you want the server to run;
- Copy Squeak.exe to that directory and create a Squeak.ini there that has:
[Global]
ImageFile="C:\<full path to dir>\magmaserver.image"
- Open a windows console window on the directory and do:
Squeak -service: "Magma Server"
- Follow the prompts, but don't start the service yet. Go to the
service console (Start->Run services.msc), open the properties on the
Magma Server service, and in the second tab switch it to run under
your account - for some reason, running Squeak under the system
account as a service never works.
- Apply settings and start the service.
- Surf to http://localhost:21000/

MacOS X, Risc OS, ...:
- Send me a machine and I'll figure it out ;-)

This is not a top-priority project for me, but if you have comments
and patches, i'll do my best to shove out another version in a week or
two if any big issues pop up.

Happy hacking!

Cees