What does Squeak application development look like?

Ramon Leon rleon at insario.com
Thu Dec 8 17:19:33 UTC 2005

Here's how I'd do it.

> So, when I start an application in another language I:
>
> 1.  Create a directory in which I'll keep the files related
> to the new application.  There's a good chance that this
> directory will be near some other code that I use in the form
> of libraries).

Create a new image, actually, I'd clone an existing clean image that's
already setup for this purpose.

> 2. Create a sub-directory in which I'll keep unit tests using
> some sort of unit test framework like JUnit.

Create a class category for this.

> 3.  I'll "write the tests first"

Same.

> 4.  I'll write some code for my application, probably driving
> a "spike"
> through it's functionality in order to get at least one test to pass.

Same.

> 5. I'll run my tests.  This involves starting the application
> from a known state (no objects instanced yet, for example),
> starting some portion of the application and running it.

Same.

> 5. Once I've got *something* to work, I'll check all of the
> code in my working directory into some sort of Source control
> system (probably
> Subversion) and continue to write code, checking.

Check code into Monticello repository.

> 6.  I'll periodically run my application to see how its
> working from a user perspective.  Generally that application
> starts from a known state and at a known entry point.  The
> start up state may differ slightly based on saved information.

Same.

> 7. Eventually, I'll be done and I'll deploy the application.
> Generally I'll use some tool (Ant build files, Python setup
> files) to build the release.  I'll generally test the
> deployed release in a "fresh"
> environment to duplication a potential user's experience.

Image is already built, simply deploy it, or build new image by loading
code from Monticello into it.

> 8.  I'll go on to the next application.

Ditto.