[ANN] SqueakSource Server image

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Dec 8 22:01:51 UTC 2005

Am 08.12.2005 um 22:05 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

> One of the problems I see with SqueakSource is that there are now
> several branches.
> There's the `Impara Branch' that includes groups and deleting of
> versions, hiding of projects and other stuff.
> There's the `Main Branch' that includes fixes for the acitivity
> indicator so that is works on other browsers than Safari and
> searching.
> There's a branch that tries to merge back the Impara stuff into the
> main brach.
> And finally there's the SqueakSource2 branch.
>
> Now I'm not innoctent in this matter but I think it would be great if
> we you could somewhat find a consensus and go back to one branch.

One way to unite the different needs would be site-wide options. For
example, on our server (as on the SqF installation), we can not allow
everyone to create new projects. In contrast, a community server
would allow everyone to do so. So if there was an option to allow
both behaviors, we could have a single code base. Same applies to who
is allowed to delete versions, should non-public projects still be
visible etc. pp.

When hacking on squeak source I try to be not too intrusive, however,
my time to spend on it is limited so I usually opt for the simplest
solution that works for us, which most of the time does not include
configurability.

If someone wants to spend time on a single version to cover
everything, please do! I'll happily merge it into our branch so we'll
be as close to the trunk as possible.

- Bert -