What does Squeak application development look like?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Dec 8 22:16:43 UTC 2005

On 8-Dec-05, at 1:48 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

Lots of good stuff.
Particularly -

> 1. Choose an initial image - e.g. 3.8 basic or full, or 3.9 alpha.
>
> 2. Setup a base developer image as follows. Start the initial image,
> load in the desired development environment, and save the image to a
> different name.
and the rest of the "start the dev-base and save under a new name"
points.

Save early, save often. Use the 'save as new version' to keep a
family lineage of the image states you've been through.  Try to use
meaningful names for your images to give you a clue in six months
time what the hell they are for. Alternatively, name your working
directory - I have VMM3-8b for example with the image left as
Sq38b-6695-tpr.image or whatever. As long as there is some meaningful
context to help you later.

I keep a workspace in the image open just for comments about what I
was doing in the image and what packages I loaded or saved out. When
I'm good I remember to save that to a file occasionally so I can look
at it to see what the foo I was doing before the latest emergency bug
distracted me.

tim