What does Squeak application development look like?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Dec 9 02:31:30 UTC 2005

On 8-Dec-05, at 8:57 PM, Keith R. Fieldhouse wrote:

> As an aside, how to people move their images around?   I have
> several different machines that I do development at.  By checking
> my work in when I'm done at a given machine, a simple "svn update"
> at a different machine and I'm ready to continue work.    It occurs
> to me that I could check in my images "changes" file to a central
> server (svn or other) and simply fetch that changes file when I
> move to a different seat.  Does that make sense?  How do other
> folks do this?

You need to keep the image and changes as a matched pair - zip them
together, rename them together, treat them like a happily married and
inseparable couple. An image starting up will find its own name and
try to find a changes file with the same name. So if you take
fred.image and fred.changes and rename to bill.image and bill.changes
then all should be well.

  Simply saving them to an accessible place is good enough. I'm not
sure if svn is good at handling large binary files effectively; if it
is then that would be quite useful.

An alternative that is quite convenient is a usb memory stick. Copy,
stick in pocket, commute, copy. Include a copy of all the main VMs
and the SqueakV3.sources file and you can walk up to almost any
machine and demo Squeak at the drop of an aspirant.

tim