What does Squeak application development look like?

Wilkes Joiner wilkesjoiner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 04:44:10 UTC 2005

On 12/8/05, Keith R. Fieldhouse <keith at rexmere.com> wrote:
> I now need to spend some time looking at Monticello since I gather from
> the reading that I've done that it provides some structure (via Class
> and Method categories) about just what an application "is".
>
> I also gather that a measure of discipline is required to avoid creating
> code that only works because you happened to instance an object in a
> workspace.  This doesn't appear to be required -- you could conceivably
> hand assemble a running application in an imagine but later deployment
> might be tricky.  Correct?  I imagine Unit tests can be used to help
> verify this.
>
> As an aside, how to people move their images around?   I have several
> different machines that I do development at.  By checking my work in
> when I'm done at a given machine, a simple "svn update" at a different
> machine and I'm ready to continue work.    It occurs to me that I could
> check in my images "changes" file to a central server (svn or other) and
> simply fetch that changes file when I move to a different seat.  Does
> that make sense?  How do other folks do this?

Once you get familiar with Monticello, take a look at this thread on
how to use MonticelloConfigurations:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-November/098181.html

I've recently started putting all of a project's dependencies and a MC
config in its Monticello repository.  I have a couple of other
projects that just have the packages and tools that I commonly use.
This allows me to go from a clean image to my latest development
environment in just a couple of minutes.  Really nice stuff.

- Wilkes