What does Squeak application development look like?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sun Dec 11 01:25:53 UTC 2005

Am 10.12.2005 um 20:15 schrieb Hernan Tylim:

> Hi Brad,
>
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> What you _really_ do when you add a Package is add a Category,
>> right?   Categories are arbitrary. If you add VMMaker-Plugins you
>> get all of the classes in the category, right? I just want to save
>> my one class from that category, I don't want to save all of them.
>> What am I missing?
>
> You can't make that a class that belongs to another class category
> be part of your package.

Actually, all of the posters in this thread got it wrong, except for
Brad, who rightfully wonders why you couldn't have a class from a
different category belong to your package.

Sure you can!

Monticello does *not* look at class categories or method categories
to determine what classes and methods are in a certain package.
Rather, it looks up a PackageInfo instance by package name, and asks
it for a list of classes and methods.

Now, by *default*, such a PackageInfo instance is created on the fly,
and when asked for its list of classes and methods it does pattern-
matching on the system's categeories.

However, it's *entirely* possible to provide your own PackageInfo
subclass that uses different means of retrieving the list of classes.
Like, simply by storing an explicit list.

Now what's *missing* here would be a nice user interface for defining
and editing such packages. The advantage of the generic PackageInfo
is that you define packages in the normal SystemBrowser by naming
categories.

But, IIRC, it's not really missing anymore but included in Alexandre
Bergel's MonticelloPackageBrowser?

	http://kilana.unibe.ch/monticellopackagebrowser/

But I haven't tried that, yet, so I may be wrong ...

- Bert -