NamedProcess and squeakmap proxy ?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Dec 13 06:47:09 UTC 2005

Hi!

Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
> NamedProcess can still be loaded from SqueakMap because Goran added a
> server side cache for every package.  I just tried it and it seems to
> load fine.

Well, that was kinda the idea. Did you verify in Transcript that it fell
back on the server cache?

> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 01:04 +0100, Samir Saidani wrote:
> > Hi,
> > The latest version of NamedProcess seems unreachable, and this is
> > critical for people that would like to install SmallWiki for instance.
> > see http://people.advantive.com/~spair/squeak/NamedProcess-1.2.sar
> > see also http://tunes.org/~nef/logs/squeak/05.10.29, which reports the
> > same problem.

> > Is a kind of proxy available (planned?) for squeakmap packages ?
> > Regards
> > Samir

As Ken said, it is built into SM 2.1 - it will fall back on the server
cache if the download from the original URL fails. One issue I am seeing
though is of course that the silly HTTP code in 3.7 takes *forever* to
time out. Sigh. I count 37 "data was late" before it decides to try the
server cache.

But if you test it in 3.8 it works.

Hmmm, just discovered that changeset 6217 has changed how
printStringBase: works (doesn't tack on the radix in front anymore)
which means that 3.8+ images will create different directories in the SM
file cache, sigh... This means that 3.7 (and older images) will not
share cache files with 3.8+ correctly - duplicate directories will be
created. And in 3.8+ there may even be collisions.

Hmmm, I wonder if the person who changed printStringBase: checked
senders in the basic image? Anyway, I am not grumpy - I will fix it. :)

regards, Göran