Squeak and its Wikis

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:29:38 UTC 2005

2005/12/13, Torsten Sadowski <moehl at akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de>:
> The requirements need a bit of explanation.
>
> I'm working as a Ph.D. student in the Mechanical Engineering Institute of
> the TU Berlin. Part of my job is teaching ME to undergraduate students.
> The teaching is not a problem but the University, the Faculty of
> Engineering and not even the institute have a centralized system for
> course management. Every working group in the institute has its own system
> where the students can register themselves and log in for the courses. The
> university wide system was planned, partly paid for and then abandoned for
> political reasons.
>
> What is needed are two more or less independent systems, one for
> registering students to courses and one for grading students in courses.
> Both are perfectly illegal after the german "Datenschutzgesetz".
>
> Application 1 Registration:
> -Students create accounts for themselve
> -Students change account data
> -Students enroll for courses
> -Students decide otherwise and take themselves out of the couse list
> (before the start of the semester, must be logged)
> -Students register for exams
> -Students can view their grades
>
> Application 2 Administration (and grading)
> -Teachers can access their course lists
> -Teachers can mass mail to one or more courses or to selected students
> -Teachers can grade students
> -the course administrator defines a grading system
> -Teachers can view a students history (courses and grades)
> -all data has to be persistent at least until the students
> graduation
> -all data must be accessible without the running server
> -automatic printing of course certificates
>
> Teachers are completely trustworthy and students can only change their
> personal data and view their grades.
>
> If the Registration is done somewhere else, the Administration needs some
> import capability (CSV).
>
> As a solution is not inside and because I'm not even in a position to
> decide on a system for the institute look at the smily below and only do
> something if my requirements meet your goal.

Wow. No sorry there's nothing specific for your case in Pier right
now. However I think it should not be too hard to implement a simple
solution in either Seasie or Pier/Magritte _if_ you know them.

> P.S. How does your university handle student administration?

Uh, don't ask ;) The University would like us to use WebCT, but it sucks.
In general each course does it his way.
We have a very small Seaside (Mewa) app and I'm experimenting with dabble.