SMTPClient ConnectionTimedOut: Cannot connect to 10.10.10.10:25

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Thu Dec 15 21:45:22 UTC 2005

Hi Squeakers,

I am still struggling with getting Celeste to send mails again. I tried to
do a simpler test:
1. I created a POP3 test mailbox at my ISP (aon.912501254.test at aon.at).
2. I created an account for the test mailbox in Outlook Express.
3. I verified that I can send mail to the new mailbox. using the SMTP server
email.aon.at. This SMTP server does not need any authentication.
4. I executed the following:

SMTPClient deliverMailFrom: 'aon.912501254.test at aon.at' to:
#('aon.912501254.test at aon.at') text:
'Subject: this is a test

Hello from Squeak!
' usingServer: 'email.aon.at'

I immediately get the walkback ConnectionTimedOut: Cannot connect to
195.3.96.71:25. I tried to connect to the SMTP server using telnet on a
command prompt:
telnet email.aon.at 25
This does not work. This probably means that this is not a Squeak problem
after all. However, how does sending mail from Outlook Express work then?
Does anyone have a tip for me how I can debug this further? I'd be extremly
thankful!

Regards,
Bernhard