About ToolBuilder and Plus Tool set

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Dec 20 07:41:35 UTC 2005

Hi all

I would really to know how to proceed with the ToolBuilder framework.
In particular, I would like to know where I can find information about
what are the UI policy not to break the work done and how to
reinforce it.

For example, should we track all the PopUpMenu that are not issued by
the
UIManager and replace them by adequate message. Does it make sense?
Is is what the toolPlus tools are already proposing?

Should we make a simple analyze to show the difference between a
standard tools
and its Plus one and migrate the changes to the Plus so that we can
get rid of the standard one?

I took for example ObjectExplorer and ObjectExplorerPlus and the
difference in the interface is quite large
and I do not understand why? I wanted to start to check the changes
between ObjectExplorer and its Plus...

ObjectExplorer selectors difference: ObjectExplorerPlus selectors

  a Set(#stopMonitoring #explorerFor:withLabel:
#openExplorerFor:withLabel: #trash #label #genericMenu: #doItContext
#openExplorerFor: #selector #step #initialExtent #shouldGetStepsFrom:
#parentObject #monitor: #explorerFor: #doesNotUnderstand:
#defsOfSelection #trash: #chasePointers #codePaneMenu:shifted:
#monitorList #object #release #objectReferencesToSelection
#referencesToSelection #openBrowser: #world #getList #selectedClass
#explorerKey:from: #contentsSelection)

So a lot between the version taken to introduce toolbuilder and now.
The explorer got a lot more features, step....active monitor list....
Now I would like to know whether the ToolsPlus should be as UI
framework specific as possible?

Now the other question: how can we continue to push this effort since
I'm afraid that we will start to lose it
if we do not do something.

Stef