Mission for Squeak Foundation

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Dec 29 21:49:15 UTC 2005

On 29 déc. 05, at 00:35, Andrew Greenberg wrote:

> Indeed.
>
> The problem is not really the possibility or risk of fundamental
> flaw in the license, but an ideological opposition to things not
> GPL or conforming to certain notions of "free."  While I am
> sympathetic to many of those positions, the proposition a lawyer
> should be engaged perform a "risk analysis" for prospective users,
> as though there actually were such a thing,  by any person other
> than the prospective user, is silly.

Hi andrew.
I'm sorry to be silly then.

> It appears that there is no ambiguity as to the meaning of Squeak-
> L, it pretty much means what it says.  The dispute seems, rather to
> be whether it should say what it says.

No it was not the point of the original idea. People contacted me and
asked if I could get an analysis of the license, since
they are not lawyers and they are not familiar with Squeak and they
heard a lot of different points on squeak (squeak license is the same
as the one of flash, the same as java.......). So they wanted to know
what were the problems so that they could evaluate it.