Traits?

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Sat Dec 31 13:29:01 UTC 2005

Hi Tom

> Adrian Lienhard wrote
>> We have been working on the integration of the traits implementation
>> with current 3.9a. Now it's ready to be tested, played with, reviewed
>> There's a ready image at http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/files/
>> Squeak3.9a-traits.zip.
>
> Adrian
> When I start this image and run all the sunit tests, I get 10
> errors on the
> 11 tests in RequiresOriginalTestCase.  These errors are because
> "RequiredSelectors current" (or in once case, "LocalSends current")
> returns
> nil.  Do you see the same thing?

yes, I see the failing tests too (using the current 6706 image from
the 3.9a Squeak FTP repository).

The problem is (and Andrew mentioned this already on the traits
list), that the following singletons are not initialized:

RequiredSelectors initialize
LocalSends initialize
ProvidedSelectors initialize

And there was some other problem with missing method for traits. I
fixed this and committed the following two new versions to the traits
repository:

Traits-al.199
Kernel-al.71

Those tests run green now.

> I'm trying to bring the OBTraitStructureBrowser up to speed with
> all of the
> virtual categories and signifying colors/fonts.

cool!

There was some discussion on the traits list about also including OB
(there is a new version in the meantime btw) and the OB Traits
browser in 3.9; but I don't know whether there has been done work
towards this goal since. I think we should set up a small team around
this that prepares the inclusion and that will take responsibility in
maintaining it later on. For my part, I'm not going to have enough
time to work on this in addition to the traits core.

Cheers,
Adrian