Help requested with morphic-related bug

Kurt Thams thams at thams.com
Sat Dec 31 20:38:39 UTC 2005

karl wrote:

> Kurt Thams wrote:
>
>> I wrote a program to solve Sudoku puzzles, and when I run it I get a
>> problem... various submorphs stop drawing (and get rendered as a red
>> box with a yellow cross through it), and a walkback comes up with
>> "Error: Error: Instances of UndefinedObject are not indexable" (in
>> WorldState>>displayWorldSafely)
>>
>> Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with my program or if it is an
>> error in Morphic.
>>
>> Essentially, I fork a process and set a morph to step while the
>> forked process updates the model that the morph is drawing from.
>>
> Don't fork off a process. Morphic runs in a single thread and a you
> will get errors like this if you
> try using other processes. Use morphics step mechanism or if you
> _really_ have to use a seperate process
> use WorldState>>addDeferredUIMessage:
> Karl

So how do you properly use Morphic to display the intermediate results
of a long-running, computationally-intensive process? This code could
not be runing in the step method, otherwise the display would never update.

Would you have your computationally-intensive process running in a
forked thread, and the implementor of "step" then alters the values
underlying the morph objects?

-- kurt