Clastic port?

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 14:08:17 UTC 2005

Thanks to Prof. Ducasse (some time ago), I am looking at the
possibility of porting some or all of Clastic,
http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~karczma/Work/Clastic_distr/clastic.html ,
to Croquet.  I have not really looked at Functional Programming
languages like Clean before.  It seems fairly straightforward in
itself, but I am wondering what is the best way to represent this kind
of code in Smalltalk/Squeak/Croquet.

On a basic conceptual level, it seems that there is no real object to
receive the messages, made up of the function arguments.  Should I just
create one class (the "Clean" object?) with tons of instance-side
methods (one per function definition)?  I know that some Functional
Programming has been done in Squeak before.  What was the approach
used?

I'm also thinking that I would like to use Andreas' extensions to
method invocation to simplify the syntax of having lots of arguments.
I will have to try that out and see how it works.  I know that this is
in Croquet, but I'm not sure that it made it into Squeak, which is
really the only reason that I'm planning on doing this project in Croquet.