New maiing list stuff on SqF box - volunteers wanted with ezmlm experience

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Feb 2 08:53:21 UTC 2005

Setting up the SqF box is progressing nicely. One of the long-term goals
is to move the lists from the current location (The InternetOne) to the
box, and yesterday the first tiny steps towards that goal have been taken
by installing ezmlm-idx and configuring a test list.

The list currently runs on mailman; the move to ezmlm is mostly because it
turns out that mailman, being written in Python, is resource hungry and as
we want to pack lots of services on that box, it is better to go with
something that is friendlier. Ezmlm-idx basis on ezmlm, which is one of a
series of idiosyncratic packages written by Dan Bernstein; idiosyncratic
in the sense that they adhere to the old Unix philosophy (small, simple
components that perform work by cooperation), have very low memory and
processing requirements, and are virtually bug-free.

For the new location, the name 'discuss.squeakfoundation.org' has been set
up. The idea is to move everything over in three phases, each taking maybe
a month:
- Phase 1: new lists will be setup on the new server.
- Phase 2: low-volume lists will be transferred to the new server.
- Phase 3: the high volume lists (squeak-dev and seaside, I think) are
transferred over together with the domain name.
The idea is that we move a smoothly as possible, giving us time to learn
about ezmlm, tweak list parameters, etcetera; however, I think it is
important that the high-volume (and therefore highly visible) lists have
the old name at least as an alias, so they'll moved last and at that time
lists.squeakfoundation.org will point to the new setup.

The 'volunteers wanted' bit is because ezmlm has the nice property that it
runs under any Qmail user's account; in the current configuration all the
lists will run under a single unprivileged user's control. So it's easy
for us (the SqF Box Admin Drones[tm]) to ask one or two people, preferably
those with mailing list management experience, preferably with
ezmlm(-idx), to volunteer in mailing list management - setting up lists,
helping list moderators with their daily chores, etcetera. The first task
will be to setup a system management list ;)

Volunteers can apply by sending a hand-written letter with picture and
full resume to SqF BAD Inc.,  c/o Human Resources Dept., PO Box 42666,
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; or by dropping me an email. Please don't
forget to mention why you should be the one to be offered this unique and
once-in-a-lifetime chance to serve the Squeak Community ;)

Regards,

Cees