widget sets (was: Alan Kay on forks)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:30:15 UTC 2005

I agree, Brad, that a better widget set and general UI tools would be
nice, and I've argued in the past that we should put one into the
standard basic image for people like you.

We actually have several widget sets on SqueakMap (have you tried
BobsUI or Prefab?), and so I suggested that we should put the first one
into the main image that someone would volunteer to actually maintain.
To prove they actually have some time available to maintain it, I think
they should have some requirement, e.g. to make a Play With Me  project
which introduces you to the toolkit.  I think we should tell them their
toolkit will get put into basic (GUI's are part of basic development!), so
that they will have incentive to do the work.

No one has really volunteered, but I still think it's a good idea.  For
application developers using Squeak, it would be very valuable to not
only have a great framework like Morphic, but to have a good set of
widgets implemented in the framework.

-Lex

PS -- be sure to check out the nu blue book's chapter on Morphic, if you
can get ahold of a copy.  not to mention, perusing the "morphic" page on
the swiki.