Porting to Playstation2.

David Ryan oobles at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 09:30:37 UTC 2005

Hi Alan,

>4 or so years ago Andreas did a Squeak port to the SONY "Tool" which was a
>kind of workstation that used PS II as its base. He put a lot of energy
>into the port and got it done in 2 days. Croquet uses OpenGL (and I think
>that SONY does not quite provide OpenGL)

The Sony "Tool" is the official development environment for Playstation2 and
requires NDAs to work with.  The ps2dev.org web site and associated software
is all developed by programmers that do not use the "Tool", and have not
signed NDAs.  The development environment we use is on a standard PS2 using
a network adapter to upload programs.

We have a development kit called ps2sdk which includes all the base
libraries; including libc, access to operating system calls, tcp/ip stack,
sound libraries, etc.  ps2sdk is licensed under a free Academic Free License
to make it easy to link with other free software.  We also have various
graphic libraries including dreamGL which is a very basic OpenGL
implementation (also AFL licensed).  Over the last couple of days, a SDL
port was also implemented.  I don't think we should have much missing in
terms of libraries to port squeak.

It would be interesting to hear what issues if any Andreas had porting to
the "Tool".  I doubt I could use any of his code though, as I suspect there
may be problems with NDA and licensing.

Most of the issues I suspect I'll have with the port is being inexperienced
with squeak.  So far the only things I've managed to do is: install squeak,
run VMMaker and install a subversion client. I got stuck behind a bad
firewall, so couldn't get any further.  Hopefully Sunday, I'll get
subversion running.

Anyway, I'll be sure to be back on the list soon with questions.
Thanks,
David.