Hey, a namsepaces discussoin! (Was: Re: Partitioning the image (was Re: Shrinking sucks!))

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Feb 13 05:20:28 UTC 2005

On Feb 12, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Cees's comment about all the different parcels, categories, etc. is
> illuminating already.  I've only messed with VW a little bit, and I
> have
> yet to even sort out what all of those things *are*....

Definitely.  It's been a while since I used VW, and I remember what
class categories, parcels, and namespaces are, but now I'm not sure
about "packages".  Are "parcels" merely the binary version of
"packages"?  Someone refresh my memory.

After reading this, I'm feeling better about PackageInfo "taking over"
class categories.  I'm not sure it's worth keeping packages and class
categories orthogonal.  Class categories just plain aren't that useful
if you have packages, which end up forming a similar (but not
identical) categorization.  In other words, I'm wondering if class
categories are eventually headed for the dumpster.

> It sounds,
> though, like maybe namespaces are *too* orthogonal?  Maybe, say, each
> category should correspond to a namespace?

Yeah, that might make sense.

I know there have been raging arguments in the past about whether
namespaces should be orthogonal to packages, I haven't formed an
opinion on that.

But I'd say we definitely don't want to have all three orthogonal
concepts in Squeak -- class categories, packages and namespaces...
let's have two at most.

- Doug