About #() and {}

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 15 20:42:50 UTC 2005

Hi all

some of you may remember that we were against the introduction of {}.
Now (with the selfEvaluating package that fixes some ugly problems) I
think that {}
is much better than #(). {} is a superset of #(). So there are only
idiots that do not
change their mind :).
The difference is compile-time vs. run-time creation which may be
important for
some cases.

Now I have been discussing with andrew and he made a nice remark that a
smart compiler
would create internally #() instead of {} when needed. And I was
wondering which can of
analysis is required to do that. Would it be only when {} only contains
literals? Because this
would be quite simple. But I may miss some important aspects of the
question.

Stef