Linux dist - which one? or where?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Wed Feb 16 23:46:58 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Where does one dnl the correct Linux distribution?
>
> When going to http://www.squeak.org/download/index.html I am presented
> with two links
>
> * The "Master Squeak Unix site" at
> http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/
>  This site lists 3.6 as the stable release and a version of 3.7
> (3.7b-5 -- I guess that means beta version 5).
>
> and
>
> * ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.7/unix-linux/
>   This site contains tars for version 3.7-5989.
>   (BTW: a tar file that looks like a source of version 3.6 is there
> also. don't know why)
>
> Shouldn't there be one place to dnl? (mirrors are ok as long as they
> are identical, these don't appear identical)
>
> I'm confused.
> - Is the *nix 3.7 in beta, stable (released), or "?"
> - are the 3.7 files identical at these two sites (the filenames aren't)?
> - If 3.7 is the current stable release (it is according to this post
> at the swiki: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.388), why doesn't the
> Master Squeak Unix Site have this as a stable release?
>
> Suggestion (and I'm sure this has been discussed before resulting in
> good recommendations):
> why not provide the 3 platform-independent files for all platform
> downloads. That'll make them all consistent. Maybe at the top of the
> squeak.org site, there is a link to these 3 files (and the sources
> file couldn't be g zipped).
>
> Then, below this selection, provide the platform dependent file for
> each specific OS?
>
> Maybe the current way was decided because the goal was to make it easy
> for windows/mac users? -- but they are just zip/sit files, not
> auto-installers. So, I don't see that it's that much convenient.
>
> If the reason that there are different links for each platform is
> because each VM is released at different times, then perhaps change
> the process: all final versions (stable release) are not completed
> until all VMs are completed.
>

> brad
> PS
> I like RPMs (I'm running FC3 right now), but I'm happy to build if I
> know what I'm getting.
> As mentioned before, I'm creating audio tools -- but I need them to
> run identically on 3 platforms: mac, win and Linux (understanding the
> current audio issues with Linux). So, maybe this helps to identify my
> particular predicament. Still - it would be nice to see clear
> distribution in general.

So, it appears that others have the same issue as I do. I see that there
was discussion (and I now remember it - I'm getting old, I suppose)
about the squeak org download page being confusing:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-September/082439.html

But, nothing seems to of come of it, has it?

It does seem rather important to make squeak easy to understand and easy
to download, doesn't it? Especially for newcomers.

I'd be happy to lend a hand to clean this up -- though it seems that
this has been discussed and maybe nobody really cared to fix the issue
-- or it was concluded that it wasn't an issue?

brad