very preliminary announcement: p2p toolkit

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Feb 17 01:13:16 UTC 2005

Hi,

As some of you may know, I'm hacking around on a p2p project in wxSqueak
at the moment. Today, I wrote the lower layers that should support all
this. It's very preliminary stuff, and the higher levels are more of a
spike than seriously engineered code (it compiles, but that's it - never
ran the stuff myself ;-), but I added a couple of classes (named after
their packages in honour of the PackageInfo discussions - couldn't resist)
with extensive class comments about what it should do.

The toolkit, with some padding, will give you the possibility to build a
Gnutella-style peer-to-peer network. No central nodes, UDP used for
firewall friendliness, etcetera. If it would work I would call it 'state
of the art in P2P' ;-).

Grab it if you like to read the class comments and browse around and maybe
even give me some early feedback. Don't grab it if you want to run the
code - this is more a document than a program (flashback - literate
programming).

The code is located on
	MCHttpRepository
	    location: 'http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/DGV'
	    user: ''
	    password: ''

and you want the most recent version of the 'AardWorks-Gossip' package.
You'll get 'Tric-Datagram Toolkit' tossed in as well, both have classes
with these names with class comments that should guide you through the
code (I'm also very interested in metacomments, namely how my class
comments actually work as guide to the code). There's also other stuff
there, it represents my current daytime work but none of it is really
usable yet without lots of guidance, so don't bother.

Next announcement will follow when the higher levels have unit tests and
it has seem some functional testing; that'll be for the 'doers' instead of
the 'readers' ;-).

(If you're generally interested in this sort of stuff, please drop me a
mail. I'd like to know who is interested, why, and what we can do to help
each other).

Bedtime,

Cees